Following up on the successfull book promotions contest held in 2019 and 2020, I am launching another one for April and May of 2021.
Prize: one copy of the book Building Performance Analysis, signed by the author if requested.
This year, the topic of the contest is the "energy performance gap". Building on my paper in Automation in Construction and recent commentary in Academia Letters, the callenge to participants is as follows:
Email your entry to pieter[at] bldg-perf.org while replacing [at] with the appropriate email sign and removing thewhite space.
One entry per participant only.
Competition opens: 12 April 2021
Competition closes: 28 May 2021, noon (GMT)
Competition judgement (completed on 11 June 2021)
After careful consideration, the winner of the 2021 book promotion contest is Charlie Curcija of LBNL, who provided the following insightful stagement:
"I think that overall building energy consumption between measured and modeled results will never be and should not be 0 due to the sheer number of unknowns (e.g., every detail of weather data, flaws /discrepancies in a construction, air flow intricacies within a building and around the building). However, as these input data are refined and models appropriately updated, we should be getting closer than we are now. I think that overall discrepancy of 10% should be acceptable at this point. This discrepancy level is employed in other measured vs simulated results (e.g., measured vs simulated U-factor of a window in a hot box). Perhaps, we could accept even higher, such as 15%, since field measurement has larger uncertainties than lab measurement.
Terms and Conditions:
1. These are the terms and conditions that apply to the Book Promotion Contest running on bldg-perf.org in 2021.
2.This Book Promotion Contest is organized by Pieter de Wilde, author of the book
Building PerformanceAnalysis and owner of www.bldg-perf.org. For contact details see the "about" section of the webpage.
3. The Book Promotion Contest is open to individuals of aged 18 years or over. There are no geographic restrictions in place.
4. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter the Book Promotion Contest.
5. By entering this Book Promotion Context, each entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
6. The rules of the competition and how to enter are as follows: Offer a view on what building energy performance gap is to be allowable, and provide the argumentation to back up your view. Email your response to pieter[at] bldg-perf.org. The most insightful submission, as judged by the organizer, will win a copy of the book.
7. All entries sumbitted to this Book Promotion Contest may be used for future academic work by the organiser on the subject of the 'energy performance gap'.
8. Only one submission will be accepted per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
9. The closing date for submissions will be 28 May 2021, noon, GMT. After this date no further entries to thecompetition will be permitted.
10. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
11. The organizer reserves the right to cancel or amend the Book Promotion Contest and these terms andconditions without any notices in the case of events outside of his control forcing him to do so. Any changesto the contest and terms and conditions will be posted on this webpage as soon as possible in such andevent.
12. The prize of the Book Promotion Contest is a single copy of the book 'Building Performance Analysis' (deWilde, 2018). No cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prizes are not transferable.
13. The winner will be determined by by a panel consisting of the Contest Organizer together with an Independent Adjudicator (who will be selected once the entrants are known so as not to cause anyconflicts).
14. The winner will be notified by email within 14 days of the closing date, and his/her name will be posted onthis webpage. If the winner cannot be contacted to arrange delivery of the prize within 14 days of thatnotification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and to select a replacement winner.
15. The decision about the winner by the panel (Contest Organizer + Independent Adjudicator) is final and nocorrespondence about this matter will be entered into.
16. By entering this competition, the entrants indicate his/her agreement to be bound by this terms andconditions.
17. The winner of the Book Promotion Contest agrees to the use of his/her name on this website. Any personaldata relating the the winner and other entrants will be used in accordance with the current UK dataprotection legislation (GDPR) and will not be disclosed to any third parties.
18. The Book Promotion Contest and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law; any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.